Sunday, July 1, 2007

Safe from KGB...for now

I still remember how Kabir called me yesterday and screamed, "OMG Anders you haven't been abducted by Russian Communist KGB!"...

Haha, I haven't been writing for like two weeks already, since they don't even have a mobile network in Mongolia. That's right, I just came back from an ex-communist country, not for pleasure, but actually a semester school religion class. It is a summer class about Buddhism and we gotta travel all the way to Mongolia to "experience the nirvana" ("wait, isn't Nirvana a BAND?" my awkward quote on the first day) and I can also get my religion class done and have another free period. But the best thing is that it is not only a religion class, but a service trip. A Habitat for Humanity trip to be more exact. We spent a whole week building houses with the locals (To be more exact...I call myself destroying rather than building...after I finished building the chimney, I just found out I haven't been putting a single drop of cement on the bricks...). Man it once a tough experience. Working under the burning hot sun, carrying 30 kgs of cement every 2 minutes. But it was quite sexy, yo. You can't do that everyday, and finally my mom won't nag about how I have wasted another summer holiday. Moreover I have built up some
"guns" for A grade rugby next year.

And the other week? Well we spent time living in "gers" (Mongolian tent) and visiting children organizations such as Christina Noble Foundation and VCC (V-something Children Camp) taking care of orpahns. And best of all we gotta watch Shrek 3 with Mongolian subtitle one night. It would have been a nice experience, if we don't have any readings to read or scary essays to write (I spent one whole night writing the exam essay).

Best and Worst memories? Well, so far all the services are the best things in the trip. Worst? well here comes another story. No hot water to shower for the entire trip, have a few flies in my mouth, a BROKEN luggage (holy crap luckily that is on the last day. I need to share bag with my teachers), and of course, my wisdom tooth was KILLING me. The first thing I do when I got off from the plane in Hong Kong was to catch a ride to the dentist and pull it out. Oh my dear Lord's Mother, my dentist was HARDCORE. He did it quickly, only too quickly. He just injected two huge shots in my mouth, and stuck his knife up my wisdom tooth, and DIG it out. Crap, that is the experience, the joy and pain.

Hey btw the Chairman of China was here yesterday. I hope the stupid lame-ass welcoming show didn't bore the crap out of him.

No comments: